Luxury Drinks | Gaja
21935
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-21935,page-child,parent-pageid-18904,ajax_updown_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-7.6.2,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.3.5,vc_responsive

Gaja

The Gaja winery was founded in 1859 by Giovanni Gaja, the Gaja family having arrived from Spain during the 17th century. The family Gaja opened a tavern in Barbaresco, serving its wines with the food. At the end of the 19th century, Gaja wines were bottled and supplied to the Italian army in Abyssinia. In 1937, Giovanni Gaja first put the name Gaja in big red letters on his bottles’ labels. The firm progressed following World War II as Giovanni Gaja made a significant series of vineyard purchases in terms of scale and vineyard quality. Also cited as an important influence to the firm’s early success is the mother of Giovanni Gaja, Clotilda Rey, who instilled the principles of working to achieve high quality to attract the desired clientele, and set high prices to manifest the prestige of the product.

Gaja Ca’Marcanda Bolgheri Promis

The name stems from the Latin abbreviation “promissio”, meaning promise. The grapes are cultivated in the terre brune dark soils of the Ca’Marcanda vineyard.

Gaja Ca’Marcanda Bolgheri Magari

The estate’s second wine, the name may translate to “perhaps” or “if only” and is from fruit grown in a combination of terre brune and terre blanche, white soils with stones and pebbles.

Gaja Ca’Marcanda Bolgheri Camarcanda

The name, from the winery name Ca’Marcanda, is a Piedmontese term for “house of endless negotiations”, in reference to long-lasting period it took to persuade the previous owners to sell the estate. The vineyard is from one of the stoniest sites of the Ca’Marcanda estate, 100% terre bianche.

Gaja Pieve Santa Restituta Rennina

This wine is sourced from three non-contiguous vineyard sites, located on a portion of the Pieve Santa Restituta estate that was named “vicus Rennina” according to an 8th-century document.

Gaja Pieve Santa Restituta

In 1994 Gaja acquired its first property in Toscana, Pieve Santa Restituta in Montalcino. The property’s 16 hectares (40 acres) of vineyards producing two wines that are Brunello di Montalcino, with exceptions such as in 2005 which was estimated by Gaja as a lesser vintage, and a single Brunello was produced.

Gaja Pieve Santa Restituta Sugarille

A wine sourced with fruit from the Sugarille vineyard which was first recorded in the inventory of Pieve parish church in 1547.

Gaja Sito Moresco

Several estate-owned vineyards, among which the 10 hectares (25 acres) Sito Moresco vineyard in Barbaresco, with the name “Moresco’s site” referring to the former owner of the vineyard.

Gaja Dagromis

Named after the Gromis family which owned the vineyard in the commune of La Morra throughout the 19th century, before acquired by the Gaja family. It is blended with fruit from another Gaja-owned vineyard in Serralunga.

Gaja Barbaresco

The Gaja estate flagship wine which has been produced since its founding in 1859.

Gaja Costa Russi

A single vineyard acquired by the Gaja family in 1967. The name comes from the term “costa”, the side of a hill facing the sun, and “Russi” a nickname of the previous owner.

Gaja Sorì Tildìn

A vineyard acquired by the Gaja family in 1967, first produced as a single-vineyard wine in 1970. “Sorì” is a Piedmontese word for “hilltop with southern exposure” and “Tildìn” was a nickname of Clotilde Rey, Angelo Gaja’s grandmother.

Gaja Sorì San Lorenzo

A vineyard bought from the parish of Alba in 1964, named after San Lorenzo, the patron saint of Alba’s cathedral.

Gaja Sperss

Having purchased grapes from Serralunga for the Gaja Barolo until 1961, this ceased with the decision to produce only from estate-owned vineyards. In 1988, Gaja bought the vineyard. The name is Piedmontese for “nostalgia”, indicating a longing to return to the making of Barolo after several years of absence.

Gaja Conteisa

The name is Piedmontese for “quarrel”, referring to a historic dispute between the communes La Morra and Barolo, both claiming the Cerequio land.

Gaja Darmagi

Planted in 1978, the name meaning “what a shame” or “pity!”, is said to be a comment made by Angelo Gaja’s father, Giovanni Gaja, reflecting on Cabernet vines planted on a prime Nebbiolo site.